Wearing a thong was always my ultimate goal, but before I’d worked up the courage to wear one, I struggled to engage with the communities at the time. It seemed like everyone else had already crossed the finish line while I was waffling at the start. It took realizing that I needed to go at my own pace, and that taking smaller steps wasn’t a failure.
I started with a square-cut swimsuit, progressed to swim briefs, and finally, once I felt completely comfortable in Speedos, debuted a thong.
Had I known that others had gone through a similar progression, I might have taken the leap sooner. So, in the spirit of helping anyone with a thong swimsuit sitting in their drawer that they haven’t found the courage to wear yet, share your story!
What other styles did you wear prior to thongs? And if you haven’t worn a thong yet, where are you in your own journey?
There is nothing wrong with taking small steps to find your own path to wearing a thong. My journey may have been a bit easier than some since I never wore board shorts, or swim trunks. I started with Speedo style suits. Slowly I started to find ways to expose more cheek. Then I discovered Brazilian back followed by Rio back swimwear. I stayed with them in public setting for a while. I started wearing thongs in my backyard in private. That progressed to very secluded beaches. Slowly I got more comfortable and started wearing my thong at more populated beaches. The first time I truly ventured out on a public beach in a thong I had several groups of young women encouraging me, praising me and asking for photos with me. That sent me to the moon and had me convinced that wearing a thong was a great thing. It still took a few years to be totally comfortable wearing a thong in public. I gradually became more and more confident and comfortable. Then I finally made a full transition to wearing a thong at beaches and pools never looking back.
I kind of went through a natural progression with underwear but jumped straight from swim/board shorts to thongs with swimwear. By the time I made the change, I was already wearing thong underwear every day so I figured why not have the same comfort and support with my swimwear.
I always either wore board shorts or went to nude beaches. But I also do a lot of windsurfing and SUP surfing when I want to wear a wet suit. Board shorts work poorly under wet suits so I would often just go commando, which leaves the problem how to change discreetly in the parking lot. I was going to get some swim briefs but decided to get thongs instead because, hey, they’re just gonna be under a wetsuit anyway.
When I realized how comfortable they were, I decided to wear them as beachwear and swimwear, and shortly after switched over to thong underwear as well.
The first summer I was hesitant but quickly realized that nobody actually cares.